This #JuicyFruitFunSide summer post has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. However, all opinions, instructions and stories are mine alone.
While we are in the midst of summer heat and swim season, I thought I’d share with you my beach or pool essentials. It usually involves sun block, bright and fun sunglasses, a refreshing drink, Juicy Fruit chewing gum, hair tie, and facial tissue. Now I need something to carry all those things and thought a small waterproof clutch would be perfect! I thought of making one that wouldn’t involve any sewing – so all of you can do it yourself too. So, do you want to learn how to make a DIY Summer clutch with no sewing required? Most of all, you will only spend less than $10 and you get to choose your favorite color or design too. What are you waiting for? Let’s do this!
DIY Summer Clutch Materials
- Clear Vinyl Fabric – most fabric stores carry utility or vinyl fabric. Grab the clear one. They are usually sold by the yard and you’ll only need 1/3 of a yard which should cost about $3 or less.
- Duck Tape – you can buy different colors or prints. But for my clutch, I got one plain neon pink and one chevron print at about $2 each or $4 for the two.
- Velcro sticky-back squares or coins – get the one with a sticky back like tape. This sticks to the vinyl or clear plastic very well and no sewing is needed. They are about $3 for a pack of 12 which means your pair of velcro coin or square will only cost you a quarter or 0.25 cents!
- Ruler or Tape Measure
DIY Summer Clutch Instructions
- Cut your clear plastic or vinyl into your desired clutch size. I went with a 12 width x 10 height clutch. So that means, I cut a rectangle with 12 inches in width and about 24 inches in height. Why 24 inches total? It’s because the 10 inches is for the front part of the clutch, the other 10 inches is for the back part, and the left over 4 inches is for the flap of my clutch.
- Now fold the plastic horizontally where you want the end of the clutch to be. Leave a few inches for the flap on top. So for my clutch, I measured about 10 inches from the bottom of the 24-inch plastic and folded it there to line up the front and back of the clutch. You’ll then have about 4 inches on top that you can fold down to use as your clutch’s flap.
- Tape the front and back part of the clutch together at the edge of the top before the flap, using the Duck Tape color of your choice. Go around the clutch and let it overlap about half an inch so no vinyl is showing. Repeat the same process for the bottom part of the clutch. And as an option, you can do another in the middle between the top and bottom tape. You can make it different colors if you’d like.
- Finally, tape the edges to close the side opening of the clutch. I used a printed Duck Tape for that. First cut the tape to cover the height of the clutch all the way to the flap. Line it along the length of the clutch and then stick the half of the tape to the front edge, and the other half to the back edge. That should close the open sides of the clutch now.
- Now just cut the side tape where it’s lined up to the top opening of the clutch so it’s easier to get to your belongings inside the clutch.
- Finish off with another printed Duck Tape all around the edge of the flap.
- Lastly, measure the center of the clutch and close the flap to find where the top flap meets the front of the clutch when closed. Now stick the Velcro to that center point in the front clutch. Attach the other velcro pair to it and close the flap so it would stick to the right position in the flap part.
Now, put all your beach and pool-side essentials in your clutch including your fave chewing gum! Again, here’s a breakdown of mine:
- Sun block – it’s important to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun!
- Sunglasses – if you’re going to be soaking up the sun, you don’t want to be squinting your eyes the whole time. It will cause wrinkles and you don’t want to be speeding up the aging process, do you? Besides, sunglasses are fun. Everyone looks good in them and it’s such a fashion statement this summer season!
- Hair tie – if you got long hair and it’s getting in the way while you swim or sun-bathe, have a hair tie ready in your clutch.
- Facial tissue – okay, this maybe TMI, but you don’t want to be sporting a dirty or clogged nose after a swim – while you lay down on the pool lounge chair! Oh no. So be prepared. Have tissue ready when you need to wipe something or blow the nose.
- Chewing gum – I like to chew gum to keep the mouth fresh or fruity, especially when you’re outdoors for hours. While I go for mint after meals, I like to chew on fruity flavors during Summer time. Juicy Fruit recently launched two new products and I’m sharing them below.
Juicy Fruit recently came up with Juicy Fruit Fruity Chews that gives a vibrant burst of sweet and fruity flavor. The new sugar-free soft chew gum comes in a bottle for portability and easy sharing with family and friends. The second new product is the Juicy Fruit Bubble Gum which offers the great bubble blowing experience that kids (and kids at heart) will enjoy. Both come in original and sweet strawberry flavors.
I got mine at Walmart where I also bought some of my pool-side essentials. You can find the new Juicy Fruit Fruity Chews and Juicy Fruit Bubble Gum in the candy/gum shelf near the cash register as you can see below. With the new launch, they are also having Juicy Fruit demos at Walmart stores across the country. The demo dates are:
- July 25-27: 11:00am-4:00pm
- August 1-3: 11:00am-4:00pm on Friday/Saturday and 1:00-6:00 on Sunday
How about you? What are your beach or pool-side essentials? Mine all fit in my new DIY Summer clutch which I carry along with my beach towel and refreshing drink to the pool. Hope you like the clutch and let me know if you try to make one.